Mrs. Myers’ Banana Bread

Mrs. Myers' Banana Bread

It likely comes as no surprise that many fond memories of childhood sports center around food. From the orange slices at half time, to the post game treats, to the end-of-season celebrations, food visions rival the victories, the losses, the nail biters.

When I think of soccer season, I especially remember one thing: Valentina’s brownies and rice crispy treats. Valentina, a tall, striking Venezuelan, never missed a game and always arrived with big smiles, huge hugs and loads of treats, the perfect antidote for a colossal whopping. I would share the recipes with you all — I tried to get them about a year ago — but Valentina swears she always just “followed the recipe on the box.” Likely story, Valentina. Her brownies and rice crispy treats were legendary.

When I think of lacrosse season, again, I especially remember another surrogate mother, Mrs. Myers, and again, her treats. Mrs. Myers’ banana bread was moist, perfectly sweet, and always first to disappear from the dessert buffet — I looked forward to it before the games even started. Midseason I remember even devising a post-game-buffet plan of attack, hitting up the dessert table first, tucking slices of banana bread under a napkin, sometimes stashing them in my bag for later. What can I say? This stuff was gold.

I was lucky enough to obtain Mrs. Myers’ recipe from her daughter, a dear friend with whom I spent many hours in the kitchen, mostly baking, always some sort of biscotti, often cinnamon flavored with chocolate chips. I’ve been making this banana bread for about 10 years now, and it never fails to please, kids and adults alike.

I can’t wait to assume the role as soccer mom. With this recipe on hand, I’m destined to become a legend, too.

Mrs. Myers' Banana Bread

Mrs. Myers' Banana Bread

Mrs. Myers' Banana Bread

Mrs. Myers' Banana Bread

frozen bananas

Mrs. Myers’ Banana Bread

Yield=2 large loaves

2 cups sugar
1 cup butter, softened
3 cups sifted flour (I never sift)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. table salt
5 eggs (I use 4)
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup nuts (I never add nuts)
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 quart mashed bananas*, about 8 (ripe to overripe)

Note: I’m probably stating the obvious, but in case you don’t know, overripe bananas freeze beautifully — just peel them and place them in a ziplock back in the freezer. When you’re ready to use them, place them in a colander in the sink to drain — they’ll give up a lot of liquid and look totally repulsive, but they work beautifully.

1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Butter two loaf pans. (I butter generously.)

2. In a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.

3. Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.

4. With the mixer on low, add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Add the vanilla, buttermilk and bananas.

5. Add the flour mixture and mix until just combined. Divide batter between the two prepared pans. Bake for approximately 1 hour.

6. Remove from oven and turn loaves out onto cooling rack immediately. Let cool.

Mrs. Myers Banana Bread

1. This looks so amazing and delicious I can practially taste it ! I was wondering what size pan you are using for these? Please tell me soon !

I just found you and am excited to try you out ! The pics are BEAUTIFUL

2. Wow, does that look wonderful. I always thought I had the best recipe for banana bread, but really, Alexandra, it seems you always beat me to the plate. :) I can’t wait to make this. What do you think about adding some chopped dark chocolate?

3. These are similar sport and food memories from my childhood so I really enjoyed reading your post. If only we had this banana bread back then! It looks so moist and delicious I can’t wait to try this version.

4. These look amazing! I’m also wondering what size pan you use. I have two different sizes, and one seems to be too small for everything and the other seems to big for everything. Very frustrating! Thanks.

5. First off, I have no doubt that you are going to be a legendary soccer mom. I feel like I need to move closer to you so our daughters can play on the same team. I would definitely make sure that Lola was always wearing clothes with extra pockets so she could stuff them full with as much of your delicious food as possible!

Secondly, I am so excited to try out this banana bread recipe. If it’s half as good as the pictures make it look, it’s going to be AMAZING!

6. Okay first off, please continue to mention the obvious, because I had no idea that overripe bananas froze well.

This banana bread looks amazing. Zach went through a a big banana phase and there were always a few ripe ones lying around for banana bread, but that phase seems to have ended so now I’m going to have to buy bananas just to make the bread. And actually I did that last week, and just as they were getting nice and brown, Zach threw them away. WHAAAAT? silly boy. I’m with Liz and the chocolate chip idea, mostly because I just love chocolate, mmmm. Another great recipe.

Also, I wanted to let you know that I love your ‘The Essentials’ page, I frequent it often!

• Talley — By all means add chocolate chips! But make it once first without, k? I promise you it doesn’t need them.

So glad you like the “essentials” page. I’m worried that it’s getting a little unwieldy.

• Darcy — I was loyal to my mom’s recipe, too, before trying this one. She still is in disbelief that I like this one better. She’s going to do a side by side comparison this week. I’ll let you know what she thinks. Stay loyal to your mom’s! I don’t want to cause any family turmoil!

7. Just added this to my must-make list! Looks delicious! I’m a sucker for banana bread :)

PS: Thanks for the tip on freezing bananas. I had no idea you could do that!

8. Ahhh!!! I LOVE IT! I just called my mom right now and told her to check it out! She is out in Cali visiting Kath + your namesake :) (baby Alexandra “Ali”). I told her to go to your website immediately and she couldn’t believe it! Once she stops playing with the baby she is going to write in :)

Even though my mom has fewer sporting events for which it makes an appearence, I compensate by requesting it for most holidays and just because! I miss our cooking sessions and making loads of softbatch! xo

Ella + Graham are going to have the best tailgate mom! Their friends will swoon :)

• Mrs. Myers! Anne! So much fun to see both of you here. I think of you both often but especially when I’m baking. Anne — I so miss our softbatch-biscotti baking sessions! Mrs. Myers — it’s so much fun to read the history of the banana bread. It doesn’t surprise me to read that it’s a recipe that has been passed down, and I have no doubt it will continue to be passed down for generations. I always knew it was a special recipe, and I feel so grateful that you were willing to share the recipe! It truly is the moistest and the best I’ve ever tasted. Enjoy your time in CA with your granddaughter! You must be in heaven. Can’t wait to see pics. Hope all is well. Lots of love, Ali

9. What an amazingly wonderful surprise to find MY mother’s (Mrs. Remigailo’s) recipe on your website! I feel honored to be given credit for her well-honed creation and it is in the “Myers family cookbook” which contains all those lacrosse tailgate favorites as well as family holiday specialties with a lifetime of family pictures. Food, sports and family make for some very special memories such as ours with you on and off the field. My mother would be proud to know that others are enjoying her banana bread. Your very beautiful pictures of the finished product make it all that more appealing. It is truly the tastiest and most moist of all the banana breads that I have ever tried. Thanks, Ali!
    All the best to your family.

Anne Myers, the Mother

10. I love this story! My soccer post-game snacks we’re much less cool — Gushers and juice boxes. Although when I was in charge I brought my favorite snack of Triscuits and red grapes, which manages to be slightly more cool.

11. Love your pics! I have a foolproof Banana Bread with streusel recipe that I’ve been using for years but I’m kinda tempted to try this one. Actually, I’ve already decided to try it tonight – one loaf for my girlfriend and one for me.

12. This recipe is out of control. I’ve made it twice in one week, and I am about to get my next batch of bananas to begin ripening on the counter for next week. I don’t see an end in sight. Thank you Mrs. Myers! Do you think your mom would find it funny that her recipe has made its way to the kitchens of Abu Dhabi?

13. I definitely want to make a few batches for Easter, but none of my bananas are as ripe as I want them to be :( I usually make the bread with a bit of swirled nutella, but I think it’s time for a change :)

14. I made three loaves. I think I kept them in there a little too long, the sides are super hard. I can’t wait to try it, though!

15. I find it so amazing that your favorite banana bread recipe is from a Mrs. Myers. I have (I swear) one almost identical to this one that I got from a Mrs. Myers– a former boyfriend’s wonderful grandmother. From the comments, I doubt there’s a connection, but still– happy coincidence. By the way the only difference is that the recipe I have calls for either buttermilk or sour milk, which I always thought was a little different.

16. Alexandra, thanks for the link. I am so excited to try your banana bread recipe after loving the blueberry cake. The photos, backstory and comments are wonderful. So glad I found your site via a Pinterest pin!

17. Prepping everything to make this right now except i dont have buttermilk on hand :(…subbing with greek yogurt and hoping it turns out!

18. I was wondering about making them in smaller pans – as gifts since they are DE-LICIOUS! How many it would make and how long to cook them. My pans are the foil type and are 8 x 3 3/4 x 2 3/8. Thank you in advance and thank you for the wonderful recipe(s)!!!

• Maghan — These are just guesses but I would say you probably will get about 4 to 5 small loaves. I say this because I usually get 3 small loaves per 1 large loaf using my mini pans, which are a little bit smaller than yours (5 inches in length versus 8). So, if I were to use my pans with this recipe, I would count on getting about 6 mini loaves, but since your pans are a bit larger, I would say 4 to 5. As for time, I would start checking after about 35 minutes. It might take as long as 45 minutes because the bread is so moist, but I don’t think it should take much longer than that. Hope they turn out well for you!

19. I have been looking for a good banana bread recipe for a while and every single recipe I try ends up being dry. I’m thinking it may be my pan, it’s cast iron. I’m thinking of getting a pack if the throw away aluminum pans and try your recipe out. If it turns out well in those ill try it in my regular pan just to test my theory. I miss really good banana bread and I’m about to give up trying. Ill let you know how it turns out!!!

• Amberr — if you can’t find buttermilk, make your own — there is a note at the end of the recipe. They also sell powdered buttermilk, which I have never used, but which apparently is good. Good luck with it!

20. I can’t wait to try this. Wish I had bananas in the freezer. Did you know that you can just put the bananas in the freezer without peeling. I use to keep a gallon ziplock bag in the freezer and just add to the bag if I had bananas going bad. When you are ready to use them take them out for a few minutes cut the end off and peel place in a bowl to finish thawing. They make the best bread.

21. Thank you for sharing this amazing recipe. Bread was moist and delicious . My family kept going back and forth slicing the the bread which didn’t last long in my house (baked in the morning gone in the evening). Dark ripe bananas worked best as well as the dark brown sugar. This will be my recipe when I want a banana bread.

22. I made this the first time around Easter and loved it! I recently bought a LOT of bananas and decided to make it again. My son and husband waited MAYBE ten minutes after I took it out of the oven, burning their mouths, they enjoyed it. The house smells amazing. I’m going to slice and freeze the other loaf for quick morning breakfasts later on. Thanks for sharing!

23. I made this yesterday, and it turned out quite well. I wasn’t accustomed to this order of adding ingredients, but the resulting texture and moistness was fantastic. I substituted the buttermilk with plain greek yogurt and added bit more vanilla extract to combat the somewhat sour taste of the yogurt. Unfortunately, the bananas refused to over ripen, but I believe this would have definitely made the flavor spot-on. Great recipe!

I do have a few questions. When should the nuts be added to the mix? Does simply halving the recipe adequate for one loaf (or are there specific measurements to consider)? Also, should the bake time remain one hour for one loaf?

24. It’s cooking in the oven, and it smell delicious. One thing is that the recipe forgot to add the chips/nuts. I realized one minute after being in the I’ve, so hopefully it doesn’t fall and will cook properly. Please correct the direction part of the recipe.

25. I’m waiting for my loaf to cool right now, I added just a handful of chocolate chips at the request of my boyfriend. Its taking all my will power to not just cut in to it right now! I also just halved the recipe as I didn’t have enough bananas and even with a slightly larger than normal loaf pan, its the perfect size! I can’t wait to eat it, thank you so much for sharing

26. 1st recipe from the site. So good. Will be my new go to recipe. I halved it so family would not be tempted to eat two loaves in one afternoon -and they would have! My bananas were ripe, not frozen. the half recipe filled my standard loaf pan a little more than I expected. I forgot to halve to salt–disaster, right? No. Stiil really good. I mean REALLY GOOD. Banana bread perfection. Mine took an extra ten minutes to bake. It was getting fairly dark on top, so I covered it with foil after 60 minutes. (Given how wet it was in the middle I thought I would need more than ten). After that- perfect. Next time, with choc chips. Thank you! Can I challenge you to create an equally awesome lemon one?

• Christine — yes! I am totally up for the lemon challenge — that will be perfect for spring. And I am so happy you liked this banana bread — it is truly one of my faves. And I am still so intrigued by the coconut sugar. I bet it adds wonderful flavor and texture. Must try soon. Thank you for all of your nice comments today!!

27. As I was making the awesome peasant bread today, I noticed the recipe for your banana bread. In the fruit bowl were four very ugly bananas! I made one loaf, too bad I didn’t have 16 bananas, the one loaf didn’t last 30 minutes. Everyone wants more! Delicious, delicious!

28. Found you via Pinterest.
    This has become my new go-to banana bread recipe! I added mini choc chips on top and it was amazing!
    Making four loaves today to slice and freeze as part of my prep for baby #3 due next month.
    Thank you!!

29. For those who are lactose intolerant/allergic, you can make your own “buttermilk” with soy milk the same as cow milk.

30. I’ve been searching for the one and only banana bread recipe for so long and……..I’ve found it, thanks to you! But I reduced the sugar by half. I have one in the oven right now and I can’t wait for it to be ready! Thank you :)

31. I am so sorry to be the downer of the site. Your recipes have always worked wonderfully in my hands but I had a problem with this one and I would like to consult it with you. While cooking, I checked with a toothpick after an hour, comes out dirty, so I leave it longer and keep checking every 10 minutes. After 1 hour and a half the toothpick stills does not come out clean so I take the loafs out anyhow. They look fluffy and smell great but they come down totally after an hour. When I cut them they are “fudgy” or “omelety” inside, the taste is good but the texture (except for the 2 or 3 milimiters on the surface) is not that of a cake. I am sure I messed up since it worked so well for everyone…, the problem might be that in an attempt to make the loaf healthier I exchanged the butter for olive oil. Also the buttermilk was homemade and more similar to milk than to butter… Do you think any of those might have caused the problem?
    Thanks for the blog, is great. It’s really my favorite.

• Oh Paola, sorry to hear this :( That is never fun. I suspect the oil had something to do with it because oil in my experience always makes for a super moist cake but definitely changes the consistency, and I’m not sure with this recipe it can be substituted with great results. I haven’t tried with homemade buttermilk, but other commenters have had issues with using homeamde buttermilk in a different recipe, so that could be it, too. These loaves definitely take a long time to cook, but I find that an hour does it. What material are your loaf pans? Sometimes I feel like glass loaf pans cause issues with baking times.

• it would say it might be the banana part too…depending on how big the bananas are you might have to cut it down to 6-7…how this works.

32. I made the banana bread last evening….. What a wonderful treat. I haven’t had bread this good since I was a kid, when my Mom would bake! It turned out just perfect! I did throw in a small bag of walnuts. 1/2 a loaf is already gone and our “Super Bowl” company have not even arrived yet! Thanks for the great recipe! LOVE IT!! RoseMary

33. Not much cooking going on over SB weekend…both of were down at the five yard line with the flu! Over it now and trying to figure out what to do with the bananas that are looking sad on the countertop! Work is closed today because of SNOW!! Yay! Anyway, looking so forward to making this, it looks just like what I grew up with! XOX!

• Oh no! That is no fun. I have been spared thus far, but everyone was sick in the house last weekend and it looks as though Wrenipoo has something right now…poor dolly has a fever :(

yay for snow days! We’re expecting a ton of snow tonight…so much fun! This banana bread is one of my favorites. Hope you like it too! xoxo

34. I just made this banana bread and it is amazing. My husband and I both agree it is the best we have ever had. I have tried many recipes over the past 13 years and none compare to this – truly not even close. It is a crispy texture on the outside and so moist on the inside. I normally add nuts but agree with you now that I prefer it without.

I had to make a modification to the recipe because I did not have enough bananas – I had 5 ripe bananas and 4 – 4oz jar of banana baby food! I know it sounds weird but it is just what I had on hand. I have a ton of baby food leftover and my daughter doesn’t eat it anymore. It is just sitting in a box in the basement.

I also did not have 2 loaf pans – I only had one, so I cooked the other half in a ceramic bunt pan. I was worried it wound’t turn out but it worked great.

Back to the baby food. I have made your yogurt applesauce cake twice now (it is incredible and my kids love it) I used baby applesauce and pearsauce. Turned out great. Eventually I want to try making a homemade applesauce like you did.

Thank you so much for your wonderful blog and recipes.

• Stephanie, I love it! So resourceful! Glad to know that I can use these things in a pinch (I have a 9-month old), and I’m glad to know the bundt pan works also. I recently rediscovered my love for my bundt pan with that applesauce-yogurt cake — so glad you like that one too! — and my mother swears by baking the banana bread in the bundt pan. Going to try that next time. Thanks for writing in!

35. Just made two of these for Father’s Day tomorrow and they’ve worked out great, even with homemade buttermilk! Took about 80 mins to bake as my gas oven is sooooo slow, but did the job in the end. I also added in some chocolate chips, just because!

36. When I saw your post on the hamburger today, I noticed you had written about banana bread, specifically Mrs. Myers banana bread. I went to my freezer as soon as I finished reading the recipe and got out eight frozen bananas, a staple in my freezer. I made it this afternoon and couldn’t wait for it to cool completely and I have got to tell you that I love, love, love this recipe. I do believe it will be a staple for snacking, breakfast and of course an after dinner sweet! Thank you for sharing this and all your fantastic recipes. I am an avid follower of your posts.

• Marijke — thank you so much for writing in! That means so much to me to hear this. I absolutely adore Mrs. Myers banana bread recipe, and everyone I serve it to loves it too. It’s always moist and perfectly sweet. Happy Fourth!

37. Hi. I was just wondering if you had Mrs. Myer’s recipe for brownies and rice krispy treats. I have been looking for the perfect brownie recipe. I would appreciate it. :)

38. Hi Alexandra! I love the look of your banana bread! I want to make it as soon as I can. I was so glad to see that another one of your commenters has has the same problem as I do. Many times I find that my quick breads come out with a “gooey” center, although my tooth pick comes our dry. Why is this? I get so frustrated! Soon as I take it out of the oven it sinks miserably. It’s just a waste of time, effort and money. Please help me! Thank you so much. This is my first time on your site. Also, what size pans do you use in your recipe? There are 8×4″ and there are 9×5″. I hardly ever see the size mentioned in recipes, and, at least in this case, size does matter! LOL Thanks so very much.

• Hi Diane!

This is one of my favorites. Loaf cakes can be tricky. I find I have the most even baking results when I use a metal loaf pan, and I prefer the larger size, 9X5-inches. Size does make a difference! I should make a note. Hope this turns out well for you!

• Hello again, Alexandra! This is too funny to keep to myself@! I had 5 bananas in a bowl that were just about ready to make your bread with. Hubby and I ran errands this morning and when we got back, I went into the kitchen to get my sugar, flour, etc. to make the bread. I went to the bowl and the bananas weren’t there. I asked my hubby where they were and he said “they were too ripe, so I threw them out.” KIll!!! I was so mad I started laughing! Lesson learned………..hide the bananas from the hubby!! I will get some more and make your beautiful banana bread! Thanks for listening!

• Noooooooo! Haha, well, lesson learned. Teach hubby that next time he can peel them and throw them in the freezer — bananas freeze beautifully. They are slimy and nasty when they thaw, but they work just the same. Thanks for writing in!

39. O-M-Jeepers! I’ve Been looking for the “perfect” banana bread recipe for sometime and I think I’ve finally found it. This bread is amazing! Crusty on the outside and moist and delicious on the inside. Baked it this morning and a loaf is already almost gone. I followed your modifications but I substituted 1/2 cup of butter with coconut oil, used 1 1/2 cups of sugar and added 10 minutes to the baking time. Perfect, this will become a staple in my kitchen, thanks for sharing!

• Valerie, I am so happy to hear this! And thank you for noting your substitutions. So many people are looking to sub coconut oil for butter, and so many people are looking to cut back on sugar, so this is perfect! Thank you.

• Hi Lisa~I know this subject has already been addressed, but regarding the liquid from the frozen bananas, I made some banana bread and used the bananas along with their liquid. The bread came out terrible, with a big old “sink hole” in the middle! LOL I would recommend straining the bananas if you want to use some that have the juice included. Take care!

40. I am having my friends over this weekend and I want to make this. Unfortunatly she is lactose intolerant. What can I sub for or can I just leave the buttermilk out? Btw can’t wait to make looks soooo good!!

• Hi Shawna, I wouldn’t leave the buttermilk out. I would suggest almond milk — I’ve never done this but other commenters have on various quick bread recipes on this site. Hope it turns out well!

41. So instead of buttermilk I used tofu that I blended to a cream and instead of butter I used coconut oil. It turned out magnificent and I couldn’t even tell a difference in taste.

42. Hi Alexander. Love this recipe! I did however tweak a little:) I added 1/2Cup of sour cream, in place of buttermilk, and 1/2Cup of vegetable oil, then just 1-1/2Cup butter. About 10 mins out of oven I loosely wrap in wax paper, then finish cooling. Delicious!!!! Enjoy your site:)

43. I made this tonight, but didn’t have a quart of bananas. I had 2 cups (6 bananas), so I added applesauce to make up the difference. It turned out great! Next time I will use all bananas.