Mrs. Myers’ Banana Bread

Mrs. Myers' Banana Bread

It likely comes as no surprise that many fond memories of childhood sports center around food. From the orange slices at half time, to the post game treats, to the end-of-season celebrations, food visions rival the victories, the losses, the nail biters.

When I think of soccer season, I especially remember one thing: Valentina’s brownies and rice crispy treats. Valentina, a tall, striking Venezuelan, never missed a game and always arrived with big smiles, huge hugs and loads of treats, the perfect antidote for a colossal whopping. I would share the recipes with you all — I tried to get them about a year ago — but Valentina swears she always just “followed the recipe on the box.” Likely story, Valentina. Her brownies and rice crispy treats were legendary.

When I think of lacrosse season, again, I especially remember another surrogate mother, Mrs. Myers, and again, her treats. Mrs. Myers’ banana bread was moist, perfectly sweet, and always first to disappear from the dessert buffet — I looked forward to it before the games even started. Midseason I remember even devising a post-game-buffet plan of attack, hitting up the dessert table first, tucking slices of banana bread under a napkin, sometimes stashing them in my bag for later. What can I say? This stuff was gold.

I was lucky enough to obtain Mrs. Myers’ recipe from her daughter, a dear friend with whom I spent many hours in the kitchen, mostly baking, always some sort of biscotti, often cinnamon flavored with chocolate chips. I’ve been making this banana bread for about 10 years now, and it never fails to please, kids and adults alike.

I can’t wait to assume the role as soccer mom. With this recipe on hand, I’m destined to become a legend, too.

Mrs. Myers' Banana Bread

Mrs. Myers' Banana Bread

Mrs. Myers' Banana Bread

Mrs. Myers' Banana Bread

frozen bananas

Mrs. Myers’ Banana Bread

Yield=2 large loaves

2 cups sugar
1 cup butter, softened
3 cups sifted flour (I never sift)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. table salt
5 eggs (I use 4)
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup nuts (I never add nuts)
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 quart mashed bananas*, about 8 (ripe to overripe)

Note: I’m probably stating the obvious, but in case you don’t know, overripe bananas freeze beautifully — just peel them and place them in a ziplock back in the freezer. When you’re ready to use them, place them in a colander in the sink to drain — they’ll give up a lot of liquid and look totally repulsive, but they work beautifully.

1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Butter two loaf pans. (I butter generously.)

2. In a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.

3. Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.

4. With the mixer on low, add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Add the vanilla, buttermilk and bananas.

5. Add the flour mixture and mix until just combined. Divide batter between the two prepared pans. Bake for approximately 1 hour.

6. Remove from oven and turn loaves out onto cooling rack immediately. Let cool.

Mrs. Myers Banana Bread

1. I’ve been searching for the one and only banana bread recipe for so long and……..I’ve found it, thanks to you! But I reduced the sugar by half. I have one in the oven right now and I can’t wait for it to be ready! Thank you :)

2. I am so sorry to be the downer of the site. Your recipes have always worked wonderfully in my hands but I had a problem with this one and I would like to consult it with you. While cooking, I checked with a toothpick after an hour, comes out dirty, so I leave it longer and keep checking every 10 minutes. After 1 hour and a half the toothpick stills does not come out clean so I take the loafs out anyhow. They look fluffy and smell great but they come down totally after an hour. When I cut them they are “fudgy” or “omelety” inside, the taste is good but the texture (except for the 2 or 3 milimiters on the surface) is not that of a cake. I am sure I messed up since it worked so well for everyone…, the problem might be that in an attempt to make the loaf healthier I exchanged the butter for olive oil. Also the buttermilk was homemade and more similar to milk than to butter… Do you think any of those might have caused the problem?
    Thanks for the blog, is great. It’s really my favorite.

• Oh Paola, sorry to hear this :( That is never fun. I suspect the oil had something to do with it because oil in my experience always makes for a super moist cake but definitely changes the consistency, and I’m not sure with this recipe it can be substituted with great results. I haven’t tried with homemade buttermilk, but other commenters have had issues with using homeamde buttermilk in a different recipe, so that could be it, too. These loaves definitely take a long time to cook, but I find that an hour does it. What material are your loaf pans? Sometimes I feel like glass loaf pans cause issues with baking times.

3. I made the banana bread last evening….. What a wonderful treat. I haven’t had bread this good since I was a kid, when my Mom would bake! It turned out just perfect! I did throw in a small bag of walnuts. 1/2 a loaf is already gone and our “Super Bowl” company have not even arrived yet! Thanks for the great recipe! LOVE IT!! RoseMary

4. Not much cooking going on over SB weekend…both of were down at the five yard line with the flu! Over it now and trying to figure out what to do with the bananas that are looking sad on the countertop! Work is closed today because of SNOW!! Yay! Anyway, looking so forward to making this, it looks just like what I grew up with! XOX!

• Oh no! That is no fun. I have been spared thus far, but everyone was sick in the house last weekend and it looks as though Wrenipoo has something right now…poor dolly has a fever :(

yay for snow days! We’re expecting a ton of snow tonight…so much fun! This banana bread is one of my favorites. Hope you like it too! xoxo

5. I just made this banana bread and it is amazing. My husband and I both agree it is the best we have ever had. I have tried many recipes over the past 13 years and none compare to this – truly not even close. It is a crispy texture on the outside and so moist on the inside. I normally add nuts but agree with you now that I prefer it without.

I had to make a modification to the recipe because I did not have enough bananas – I had 5 ripe bananas and 4 – 4oz jar of banana baby food! I know it sounds weird but it is just what I had on hand. I have a ton of baby food leftover and my daughter doesn’t eat it anymore. It is just sitting in a box in the basement.

I also did not have 2 loaf pans – I only had one, so I cooked the other half in a ceramic bunt pan. I was worried it wound’t turn out but it worked great.

Back to the baby food. I have made your yogurt applesauce cake twice now (it is incredible and my kids love it) I used baby applesauce and pearsauce. Turned out great. Eventually I want to try making a homemade applesauce like you did.

Thank you so much for your wonderful blog and recipes.

• Stephanie, I love it! So resourceful! Glad to know that I can use these things in a pinch (I have a 9-month old), and I’m glad to know the bundt pan works also. I recently rediscovered my love for my bundt pan with that applesauce-yogurt cake — so glad you like that one too! — and my mother swears by baking the banana bread in the bundt pan. Going to try that next time. Thanks for writing in!

6. Just made two of these for Father’s Day tomorrow and they’ve worked out great, even with homemade buttermilk! Took about 80 mins to bake as my gas oven is sooooo slow, but did the job in the end. I also added in some chocolate chips, just because!

7. When I saw your post on the hamburger today, I noticed you had written about banana bread, specifically Mrs. Myers banana bread. I went to my freezer as soon as I finished reading the recipe and got out eight frozen bananas, a staple in my freezer. I made it this afternoon and couldn’t wait for it to cool completely and I have got to tell you that I love, love, love this recipe. I do believe it will be a staple for snacking, breakfast and of course an after dinner sweet! Thank you for sharing this and all your fantastic recipes. I am an avid follower of your posts.

• Marijke — thank you so much for writing in! That means so much to me to hear this. I absolutely adore Mrs. Myers banana bread recipe, and everyone I serve it to loves it too. It’s always moist and perfectly sweet. Happy Fourth!

8. Hi. I was just wondering if you had Mrs. Myer’s recipe for brownies and rice krispy treats. I have been looking for the perfect brownie recipe. I would appreciate it. :)

9. Hi Alexandra! I love the look of your banana bread! I want to make it as soon as I can. I was so glad to see that another one of your commenters has has the same problem as I do. Many times I find that my quick breads come out with a “gooey” center, although my tooth pick comes our dry. Why is this? I get so frustrated! Soon as I take it out of the oven it sinks miserably. It’s just a waste of time, effort and money. Please help me! Thank you so much. This is my first time on your site. Also, what size pans do you use in your recipe? There are 8×4″ and there are 9×5″. I hardly ever see the size mentioned in recipes, and, at least in this case, size does matter! LOL Thanks so very much.

• Hi Diane!

This is one of my favorites. Loaf cakes can be tricky. I find I have the most even baking results when I use a metal loaf pan, and I prefer the larger size, 9X5-inches. Size does make a difference! I should make a note. Hope this turns out well for you!

• Hello again, Alexandra! This is too funny to keep to myself@! I had 5 bananas in a bowl that were just about ready to make your bread with. Hubby and I ran errands this morning and when we got back, I went into the kitchen to get my sugar, flour, etc. to make the bread. I went to the bowl and the bananas weren’t there. I asked my hubby where they were and he said “they were too ripe, so I threw them out.” KIll!!! I was so mad I started laughing! Lesson learned………..hide the bananas from the hubby!! I will get some more and make your beautiful banana bread! Thanks for listening!

• Noooooooo! Haha, well, lesson learned. Teach hubby that next time he can peel them and throw them in the freezer — bananas freeze beautifully. They are slimy and nasty when they thaw, but they work just the same. Thanks for writing in!

10. O-M-Jeepers! I’ve Been looking for the “perfect” banana bread recipe for sometime and I think I’ve finally found it. This bread is amazing! Crusty on the outside and moist and delicious on the inside. Baked it this morning and a loaf is already almost gone. I followed your modifications but I substituted 1/2 cup of butter with coconut oil, used 1 1/2 cups of sugar and added 10 minutes to the baking time. Perfect, this will become a staple in my kitchen, thanks for sharing!

• Valerie, I am so happy to hear this! And thank you for noting your substitutions. So many people are looking to sub coconut oil for butter, and so many people are looking to cut back on sugar, so this is perfect! Thank you.