Pumpkin Bread

cut loaf of pumpkin bread

Everyone and their mother has a recipe for pumpkin bread. This happens to be my mother’s recipe — not sure where it originates beyond her — and it is incredibly delicious. Made with oil not butter, the batter comes together in minutes. I mixed mine the night before baking, and used mini loaf pans because, well because, I think they’re cute, and I suppose because I’m getting excited for the impending homemade-gift-giving holiday season.

What else can I say here? Like many of you I suspect, I am consumed by all things pumpkin at the moment…can’t stop dreaming about pumpkin muffins, cheesecake, soup, lattes, fritters, gnocchi, gnudi, yadi yadi yadi. Tis the season! If you don’t have a recipe for pumpkin quick bread up your sleeve, this one is a winner. Happy fall!

pumpkin bread

pumpkin bread batter

pumpkin bread

Pumpkin Bread
Yield = 2 standard loaf pans or 5 mini loaf pans

Mini loaf pans can be purchased here.
Disposable loaf pans can be purchased here, too.

2 c. sugar
1 c. canola oil
4 eggs
16 oz. canned pumpkin (not pie filling)
3/4 cup water
3 c. flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. table salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves (optional — I didn’t have any so didn’t use any)
1/2 tsp. nutmeg (or less — I used about 1/4 tsp.)
1/2 tsp. allspice (optional — I didn’t have any so didn’t use any)

1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease loaf pans with butter or non-stick spray.

2. Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, beat sugar and oil together until blended. Add eggs one at a time mixing after each addition. Add pumpkin purée and water and mix until blended.

3. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, and allspice. Add to the mixer and mix only until just incorporated. Pour batter into prepared pans.

4. Bake for about an hour (if using standard loaf pans) but start checking for doneness after 45 minutes — the loaves are done when center springs back when touched. Note: When using the small pans, the loaves should be done in under 45 minutes. I started checking after 30 minutes, and the loaves were done after about 35 minutes (or maybe a minute or two longer…lost track of time.)

I love these disposable mini loaf pans, too. They are so pretty! Wonderful for gift giving. I actually baked the loaves in my mini pans before transferring them to the disposable pans — I was thinking this would be less messy —but…oopsidasies, the disposable pans are a wee bit smaller than my non-disposable pans. I kind of had to squeeze the baked loaf to get it to fit. It worked out fine, but next time I’d just as soon bake the loaf in the disposable pan. That’s what it’s for after all, right?

pumpkin bread as gift

pumpkin bread

1. Growing up, an elderly neighbor had a recipe very similar to this. She baked the bread in metal coffee cans. I thought that was so cool, round bread! Fun and yummy memory.

2. I don’t have time to scroll through 70 comments, so I apologize if someone already asked this!… Could I use coconut oil in place of canola oil?

3. Wow! This recipe is so good! I didn’t have all spice on hand, so I used a little bit of pumpkin pie spice (since that had all spice). I also added a touch of vanilla extract. Mine took the full hour to bake, but wow! So moist and delish! As Rachel Ray says…Yummo!

4. Hi! Delicious recipe!!! Just wanted to chime in that I just bought 4 more cans of Libby’s canned today, so, yes, Libby’s IS still selling canned pumpkin! YEA :) Thanks for the wonderful recipe!!!!

5. What a great recipe! I am on a dairy free diet and love this! I did cut the oil and sugar in half by adding 1 1/2 cups applesauce and reducing water to 1/2 cup and they were awesome.

6. Ok just made this yummy bread! I’m not a baker, but found prep fast and easy, and it turned out just like the pic— I love when that happens. I’m thinking this won’t be the last time I make this— this month! :) I also use evoo cause I didn’t have Canola and it was fine.

7. Hi Alexandra,
    I would really like to make this bread myself but I don’t know how is canned pumpkin since I live in Spain and we don’t have this sort of thing. Can I use oven baked pumpkin? Does it have any flavour added when canned?
    Thanks for your help ;)
    Daniela

8. I just made this pumpkin bread. It is awesome. I will definately be making these for Christmas gifts. Also I used vegetable oil and they came out great.

9. I searched Pinterest today for a good pumpkin bread recipe, and liked the fact that yours uses the whole can of pumpkin. I did add 2 very ripe bananas, used cinnamon applesauce instead of oil, 1 cup of brown sugar and 3/4 cup of white sugar. I also used half King Arthur Flour’s white hole wheat flour and half all purpose. I got 2 8.5 by 4.5 loaves, and 2 mini loaves from this recipe. The larger loaves took about 40 minutes to cook, the minis about 35. They taste delicious. I’m not a fan of banana bread, so I was trying to find a simple recipe where it would meld with the other flavors. I’ll definitely make this again, and probably try adding the molasses. Thanks for such a good recipe.

10. Thank you for the great recipe! This pumpkin bread is a keeper… easy to make, moist, not too sweet, and perfectly scented of pumpkin and warm spices. I just served it at the end of a Thanksgiving meal (Canadian thanksgiving was this weekend) with a touch of cream cheese. If I had more time, I would have drizzled a cream cheese frosting on top, and sprinkled a few toasted pepitas or crushed walnuts to really seal the deal.

11. This is seriously my favorite bread recipe, pumpkin or otherwise. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve made it since discovering it on your website. Countless. I do use all the optional spices, plus add a 1/2 teaspoon cardamom, but otherwise don’t adapt it. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe.

12. Did anyone substituted the HUMONGOUS amount ( 2 cups) of sugar with smth else like stevia?? I wonder will it turn out the same texture ….

13. Thanks for sharing this recipe.. Im not very good at baking, but following your steps was easy. Tried it last night, the house smell amazing, and the bread turn out great! So soft, moist, and yummyyyy. Thank you so much :)

14. Made this recipe, just took my 3 med sized loaves out of the oven, house smells wonderful.
    Substituted 1/3 c of coconut oil for canola and the balance used my homemade baked apple butter (like a thick dark apple sauce) and canola. Will sub out the canola next time with more coconut oil and either vegetable oil or more apple butter/sauce. Added chopped pecans to the batter. The verdict is in and its amazing. Thanks for a good recipe.
    cheers
    Jamie

• So awesome to hear all of this, Jamie! I have been dying to try this with coconut oil for ages…must do so soon. This is a favorite this time of year in our house, and it would be awesome to make it a little healthier as you have done. Love your additions/changes. Thanks for writing in!

15. The first time I made this bread it was awesome, but I just made it again tonight and it has the consistency and sweetness of cake…..anyone know what would cause this? I really want the bread texture I had the first time!

16. Another great recipe! I added 50% more of each spice plus cinnamon. It’s the best pumpkin bread recipe I have tried to date. It’s not oily, soggy, dry, nor bland. Perfect for Thanksgiving! I’ll use this to make make muffins next!

17. I just tried this pumpkin bread last night and it was sooo good (thank you!!) but the top middle was very raw, no matter how long I cooked it. Do you have any idea why? The rest of it was perfect! :)

• Leah, so happy you like the bread (most of it) and sorry for the trouble in regard to the underdone center :( What size baking pan were you using and what material? Sometimes glass/Pyrex loaf pans give people trouble especially with super moist quick breads like this one.

• Sure thing! And metal is what I use, too, so I’m not sure how to advise. Do you tend to have timing issues with anything else you bake? If your oven is unreliable (and i’m not suggesting it is), an oven thermometer is really cheap and a great investment — just helps reassure you that your oven is accurate. And then, the only other thing I can suggest is maybe covering the top of the bread with foil (loosely) after 45 minutes or so to make sure it doesn’t get too brown and to just keep cooking till it’s done even if it is over an hour. Also, cooling completely (which I’m sure you know) before cutting will help, too, because the cake will keep cooking when it comes out of the oven. Finally, mini loaf pans are a great investment, too, because they tend to cook things so evenly. I know they are kind of unnecessary, but they are great for gift giving, too. Anyway, I hope that helps and I hope you have better luck next time. One last thing, did you remember to add the water?

• Thanks for the suggestions! I definitely added water. I do already have mini pans that I will probably use instead next time. They are so much more adorable when they are tiny – the only thing that stopped me before is that it means 2x as many dishes to wash! :)
            Covering with foil sounds like a good idea, I will try that the next time I use those pans again. Thank you so much, you have been so helpful!!

18. In the recipe it calls for canned pumpkin, but in the directions it says pumpkin puree. I’m sure it matters which canned pumpkin you use?

• Hey Kim, By pumpkin puree I mean canned pumpkin — just don’t buy pumpkin pie filling, which I believe has spices and other things added to it. Hope that makes sense. Let me know if there is anything else!

19. This looks amazing. I only have 3 eggs and unable to go to the store (sweet sleeping baby ;) ) will the bread be ruined with only 3 eggs?! Thanks! :)

20. Hi Alexandra this looks so good! Question, I have roasted a pumpkin as we don’t have canned pumpkin in Aussie. Will it work the same? How much would I use? I imagine I would have to puree it?
    Thanks!

• Hi Marisol!

Definitely purée it. It should work pretty much the same, and I would use the same amount of homemade puréed pumpkin: 16 oz. Does that make sense? Let me know if there is anything else!

21. I rarely comment on recipes I try but I had to with this one it was amazing and so simple!!

I did substitue the oil for the same amount of unsweetened applesauce and I usee brown sugar because that´s what I had on hand. I made a bread and 12 small muffins. For some reason the muffins did not rise alll that much but still tasted great! Bread came out perfect!

Thanks for the recipe!!

• So happy to hear this Katerine! I love this recipe, too — moist, dense, perfectly sweet. Love your substitutions — thanks for sharing. I’m not totally surprised by the muffins not rising bc this is a denser batter. So glad you like it!

22. First time to your blog thanks to pinterest. I just tried this recipe!! So yummy! thanks!! I can’t wait to explore more of your site!

23. When using the mini pans, how full do you fill them? I always have trouble with the new sizes…

Thank you so much, can’t wait to try!

24. I just made this delicious pumpkin bread for my teenage children as an afternoon snack. They literally just had the still warm bread a minute ago and it’s a big hit! It’s moist and full of flavour! This is a definite go to in my recipe book, thanks so much for sharing!!