Dead Easy Steak Marinade

grilled grass-fed t-bone steak

It’s always nice when dead easy produces damn delicious. This little marinade — equal parts Worcestershire sauce and olive oil combined with a healthy sprinkling of lemon pepper — is a good one to have on hand this time of year. While you’re busy scraping off your grill grates, refueling your propane tank, perusing your various grill-time-cooking guides, worry not about how you’re going to add flavor to those steaks. This marinade is it. What’s more, it produces just about the best tasting leftovers, though I can’t promise there will be any.

steaks from our "cowpool" cow

Above: T-Bone steaks from our “cowpool” cow (steer, actually). If you’re interested in joining a cowpool check out this site: Eat Well Guide. Type “cowpool” into the keyword search box. If you can’t find what you’re looking for there, try Eat Wild.

marinade ingredients

steak covered in lemon pepper

marinating t-bone

Dead Easy Steak Marinade

Note: Adjust the quantities based on how many steaks you are cooking. The below quantities yield enough marinade roughly for 2 t-bones, ribeyes, New York strips, etc. or for a large flank steak or for a couple of skirt steaks.

for the marinade:
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
salt-free lemon pepper*

just before grilling:
kosher salt

* Salt-free lemon pepper can be hard to find. If you only can find the lemon-pepper containing salt, don’t add it to the steaks until just before grilling. And omit the kosher salt (see steps below).
* You can always make your own lemon pepper, too: For 1 teaspoon lemon pepper substitute 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest + 1/8 teaspoon fine ground pepper

1. Whisk together Worcestershire sauce and olive oil in a bowl or in a vessel in which you plan on using to marinate the steaks. (Alternatively, pour ingredients into a ziplock bag.) Liberally sprinkle steaks on both sides with salt-free lemon pepper. (Note: If you are using lemon-pepper containing salt, do not add any during the marinating process.) Place steaks into bowl with marinade or into ziplock bag and submerge with marinade. Let sit for 20 minutes and up to 24 hours.

2. Just before grilling, remove steaks from marinade and place on a plate. Discard marinade. Season steaks on both sides lightly with kosher salt — Worcestershire sauce is salty, so you just need a light sprinkling here. (Note: If you are using the lemon-pepper containing salt, season steaks with it on both sides in this step and don’t add any kosher salt.)

3. That’s it. Fire up that grill.

Comments

1. Katykat says

I have been using this marinade when I cook steaks ever since you showed me years ago (has it really been years???) and it never fails to please!!!

2. S. says

You may be “cowpooling,” but there is no way that steak was from a cow. It was most likely a steer. Cows are for hamburger, at best.

It looks wonderful Alexandra! Please tell me more exactly what are the ingredients ( is it lemon zest and pepper? ) of which lemon-pepper is made of because I cannot find this product here in Romania.
    Thanks,Cosmin

Hi Cosmin — I just responded to Paula, as well, but you could definitely substitute lemon zest and fresh ground pepper for the lemon pepper. Here’s a little formula: for 1 teaspoon lemon pepper substitute 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest + 1/8 tsp fine ground pepper

PAula — absolutely. Just found this little formula on gourmetsleuth.com: For 1 teaspoon lemon pepper substitute 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest + 1/8 tsp fine ground pepper + 1/4 tsp salt — I would omit the salt and season the steaks with salt just before grilling. HOmemade lemon pepper will probably be even tastier!

I absolutely adore easy marinades – such as this one – that are also delicious!
    This is going to make our barbecue on Sunday, can’t wait to try it.

5. Kimberly says

Making steaks for Christmas and wondered if you can use regular olive oil? Stores are closed today:) merry christmas!! Can’t wait to try this!

6. Julia says

I made this last night and it was fabulous! I used it with/on Ribeyes and they were “melt in your mouth” perfect.

Our baby girl had been sick for the past week and just picking at her food; not a fun way to spend her 1st Birthday! I could not keep the meat on her plate! She was gobbling the steak down- a first for any food in a couple of weeks. It was so good that we’re making it again tonight. It’s fast, easy, and now that we’re sick… we need something that takes less time and effort than Chinese takeout.

Thank you!

Oh this is the best news ever! There is nothing worse than when your little dollies are sick and not eating for you; and there is nothing better when they start feeling better and regaining their appetite. I’m so happy your daughter liked the steak. Hope it was as successful tonight :)

7. Mario Rivera says

Thank you so much for the recipe. My wife and kids loved it. Helped me saved a lot of money at at steak house. I posted a picture on my Instagram and all friends complimented my cooking. Again all thanks to you.