Tomato, Corn & Cheese Galette — A Favorite Summer Meal — With A Chocolate Chip Cookie for Dessert

tomato tart

The August 2000 issue of Fine Cooking Magazine was fantastic. I can’t believe that two of my all-time favorite recipes came from that issue — from one article in fact — and that I have now been making these recipes for almost 10 years. I feel old.

I didn’t realize it at the time, but David Lebovitz, author of The Perfect Scoop, wrote the article and supplied the two fabulous tart dough recipes, one sweet, one savory, that I have been making all these years. The sweet galette dough is used in this recipe as well as this one (both from the above mentioned article), and the savory cornmeal galette dough is used in the above pictured tart, and it is so tasty.

This galette, filled with caramelized onions, fresh corn, basil, Gruyère cheese and heirloom tomatoes, is prefect for the end of summer. Serve it with a simple mixed greens salad or a cucumber-and-feta cheese plate for a light, vegetarian meal. Yum.

I have actually blogged about this tart before. In that post, however, I had pressed the dough into a tart shell and blind baked it briefly before adding the remaining ingredients. That method is fine, just a touch fussier. I prefer making these rustic, free-form tarts.

tomato tart

The original recipe for this tart calls for onions as opposed to leeks. I used leeks because I received a whole bunch in my CSA, but truthfully, I think this tart is tastier with onions. Use whatever you have. Gruyère is particularly tasty, but any cheese you have on hand will do.

tart ingredients

Assembling these tarts is easy: Simply spread the corn and caramelized onion (or leek) mixture into the center of the dough; top with cheese; top with the tomatoes; then fold the edges up to make a free-form tart.

Assembling the Tart

Tomato, Corn and Cheese Galette with Fresh Basil

Source: Fine Cooking Magazine (40, pp. 68-73 August 2000)
Serves 4

Note: For no particular reason, I split the dough in half and made two small tarts, but this is unnecessary. Normally I make just one large tart, and it is fantastic.

Cornmeal Galette Dough

1-1/4 cups (5 oz.) all-purpose flour
1/3 cup (1-1/2 oz.) fine yellow cornmeal
1 tsp. sugar
1-1/4 tsp. salt
6 T. (3 oz.) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces and chilled
3 T. olive oil
1/4 cup ice water

In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, and salt. Cut in the chilled butter using a stand mixer, a food processor, or a pastry blender until it’s evenly distributed but still in large, visible pieces. Add the olive oil and ice water and mix until the dough begins to come together. Gather the dough with your hands and shape it into a disk. Wrap the disk in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

Finishing the tart:

2 Tbs. olive oil
1 large white onion, thinly sliced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
1/2 bunch basil or tarragon, washed, dried, and coarsely chopped, (to yield about 1/2 cup); plus 10 whole leaves
Kernels from 1 ear of corn (about 1 cup)
1 recipe Cornmeal Galette Dough (see above)
1 large or 2 medium ripe tomatoes (about 3/4 lb. total) cut into 1/3-inch slices, drained on paper towels
3 oz. Comté or Gruyère cheese, shredded
1 large egg yolk mixed with 1 tsp. milk or cream

1. Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan, preferably nonstick, over medium heat. Add the sliced onion and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, about 10 min. Season with salt and pepper. Add the garlic, chopped basil, and corn and cook for 30 seconds. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and set aside to cool.

2. Adjust an oven rack to the center position and heat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet, preferably one without sides, with kitchen parchment. (If your baking sheet has sides, flip it over and use the back.)

3. Roll the dough on a floured surface into a 15-inch round, lifting the dough with a metal spatula as you roll to make sure it’s not sticking. If it is, dust the surface with more flour. Transfer it by rolling it around the rolling pin and unrolling it on the lined baking sheet.

4. Spread the onion and corn mixture over the dough, leaving a 2-inch border without filling. Update 7-16-2014: Sprinkle the cheese over the onions and corn. Arrange the tomatoes in a single layer over the cheese and season them with salt and pepper. Lift the edges of the dough and fold them inward over the filling, pleating as you go, to form a folded-over border. Pinch together any tears in the dough. Brush the egg yolk and milk mixture over the exposed crust.

5. Bake until the crust has browned and the cheese has melted, 35 to 45 min. Slide the galette off the parchment and onto a cooling rack. Let cool for 10 min. Stack the remaining 10 basil leaves and use a sharp knife to cut them into a chiffonade. Cut the galette into wedges, sprinkle with the basil, and serve.

tomato tart

This is another recipe I’ve already blogged about, but it is so good. Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies. The key is to keep your oven at 375ºF; bake only 6 cookies on a sheet at one time; and remove them from the oven after 11 minutes — they won’t look done but they continue cooking on the sheet. For kicks, I added a little fleur de sel to the tops of these before baking. Here’s the recipe.

chewy chocolate chip cookie with a touch of salt on top

Comments

OMG. Wow. Overload. First of all, we must try the cornmeal dough idea. That would be so awesome for fall tarts and galettes! And of COURSE the cookies look irresistible. But do we really have to say that?

let it be known that i’ll never turn down a tart, galette, or pie for either the main course or dessert. what a gorgeous and tasty use of some great ingredients, and the cookies look perfect!

The galette is beautiful – and after reading the recipe I think I might actually be able to make it! Yay! Can’t wait to try it. p.s. Your photographs are amazing. :)

Wow, these both look amazing! I will be out of town for the next couple of weekends, can only hope that there will still be some tomatoes and corn left at the market when I get back so I can make this!! Your cookies look perfect. YUM!

You are one of my favorite foodbloggers. If you ever want to give a class on food photography, let me know and I’ll sign up STAT! This recipe looks so good, and I have a great source for heirloom tomatoes.

Oh how I love the galettes, they look magnificent! I’ve never made a savory version. It’s time to try one! And of coarse the cookies look scrumptious!!

Wow, I have that same copy of Fine Cooking tucked away in my nightstand with that same tart recipe tagged. I was always a little hesitant to try it (since it didn’t include meat or potatoes-the only things mrChaos would eat in 2000). Yours looks gorgeous though, now I will have to go for it. I don’t think I will ever find such delicious looking tomatoes, however. Boo.

Uh…. You have your own restaurant, right? Because there’s no way you’re making food this awesome and not making money off it. Wow. I need those now!!
    By the way, I think these are much prettier than fussy tarts :)

This looks beautifully delicious! I trust David’s recipes and the combination of ingredients will use up the last of my summer produce bounty. Thank you for keeping the recipe and sharing it again!

I was seduced by your photos and decided to make this for Friday night’s dinner. (I’d thought that the quiche would be the first of your posted recipes that I would have to make but I need half a day to make the creme fraiche!) It just came out of the oven and I’m letting it rest. Mine doesn’t look like your pictures though because step 4 says to sprinkle the cheese over the tomatoes though your pics show the cheese atop the onion mixture. [3 min. break to cut and taste]. No worries! The tart is delicious and I especially love the beautifully browned crust! I’m already thinking of other recipes on hand that would benefit from that buttery, browned goodness. I so wish it was earlier in the year so that I’d have another chance to make this bad boy with summer’s tomatoes!

Incredible galette! The picture was captivating and I finally got in the kitchen and made it. Thank you so much – delicious! Last night I made the “Polenta without fear plus the chard & egg”. In fact it was an Alexandra’s weekend because as we passed through S.F. we stopped in at Tartine’s (once we got parking)and bought some goodies. I am enjoying your site so much.
    Diana

12. Ken says

Made this last night with the last of the season’s corn and one last, lonely tomato that had to be harvested green before a frost and was left to ripen for over a week on the window ledge. Added some garlic and substituted fresh thyme for the basil (no more basil), asiago for the gruyere (didn’t have it). Added some more garlic. Threw in some chopped cilantro at the last minute. Threw a little cheese on the tomatoes before baking. Loved it. Could have used a little heat–maybe half a jalapeno or an entire chopped serrano. I’ll definitely be making this again.

13. Jessica says

Wow…I made this today because I wanted to try something different. It took about two hours, but was well worth it! It was ridiculously delicious, I couldn’t get over how great it tasted because I’ve never made a galette before! Anyway, I did put my cheese over the tomatoes, but it came out looking still a bit like yours, just with cheesy tomatoes :). I also added homemade barbeque chicken but into small bits (I was in a chicken mood). I gave my friend to taste and she is still telling me how good it was!!

I will definitely make this again. I love your blog, its so real and your honest reviews help all the time. Thanks!

I’ve been making David Lebovitz’ tomato tart since I saw it last year, generally with heirloom tomatoes and lemon Stilton, swathed in my Mom’s Swedish pie crust. I make corn, cheese and tomato quesadillas for quick summer lunches, but I had not thought to make a tart like this one. Brilliant. I’ll be trying something similar before summer is out.

15. SARA says

Question…your pics show the cheese as being UNDER the tomatoes but in your directions, you instruct to sprinkle the cheese OVER the tomatoes. Is this just an oops? The tomatoes look so beautiful in your pics that I would hate to ruin that by covering them with cheese! Thanks!

SARA — Yes! Big oops! I have been meaning to make a note of this, oh, for almost three years now. I am sorry for the confusion on this. I don’t think it makes too much of a difference flavor-wise where you place the cheese, but I think you are right about the visual presentation — the cheese looks better under the tomatoes, especially if you have some pretty tomatoes on hand. Hope that helps!

This was my first ever galette and I loved it! I included this recipe in my most recent weekly meal plan at rainbowdelicious.com. I love all your recipes!

Ali! I’m just getting back to cooking after welcoming Alice to the world on Aug 1st (more to come). I made this tart the other night and we absolutely loved it. The crust is incredible. I used 1TBSP of sugar instead of 1tsp and I might just continue making it that way. Anyway, I mostly just wanted to let you know that it was delicious and to remind you to make it if you haven’t in a while. So much catching up to do on your blog! Also – I have no idea how you manage to keep cooking and blogging with three little ones, I haven’t been able to find the time to do a post since Alice was born let alone a post every week.

Talley Talley!! It is so wonderful to hear from you. I have been thinking about you. Darcy emailed me about Alice, and I kept waiting for a blog post but nothing came in my inbox. Will check your site now. I absolutely adore the name Alice, and I hope she is being a good dolly for you. Please post a million pictures immediately? And don’t despair — the hardest adjustment for me right when Ella arrived…so many changes, unknowns, sleepless nights. You’ll get the hang of it before you know it. I wish we could chat. Better, I wish I could fly over and see you. I am so excited for your little family. Sending lots of love. xoxo

18. alice says

I made this tart for dinner last night and I definitely was not disappointed! Actually, I impressed myself – it looked just like your picture! I really like the dough recipe. The cornmeal gives it a nice little crunch. FYI, I added some sliced zucchini just cause I had some in the fridge. It would be nice to use this crust in the winter. Any suggestions for a filling? Maybe some sort of spinach filling? Anyway, many thanks for a great recipe.

19. penelope says

Delicious! The dough was not what I expected, but excellent. I had to add a bit more flour and cornmeal because it was so sticky (eyeballed the oil, may have accidentally added too much…) but still baked up a treat; kind of fragile and crumbly like shortbread yet held it shape. I served it with a chilled tomato-avocado-prawn salsa and it was the perfect lunch for a sunny day in Melbourne :)

Oh that lunch sounds amazing! The salsa sounds like the perfect accompaniment to the galette. I have to be honest, I haven’t made this dough in a little while so I’m forgetting how it handle, but I do love how the cornmeal gives the dough some nice texture. Sorry it gave you a little bit of trouble!

20. Shannon says

Hi, this looks terrific. I have a question – in the pictures the tomatoes are on top but in the instructions you say to put the cheese on top of the tomatoes. Which is the preferred method? Thank you.

Shannon — I have been meaning to make a note on this for years! Sorry about the confusion. I am going to change the wording now. You can do either. I think it looks prettier with the tomatoes on top, but, honestly, in the end it really doesn’t matter. I prefer tomatoes on top. Hope that helps!

21. Alyssa says

Loved the cornmeal addition to the crust and the filling was awesome! The flavor combinations in the filling was awesome! I used red onion because thats what I had on hand and it was great! The only problem I ran into was the crust was a little under cooked. I did not put the egg yolk/milk combination on it. Would that have done anything different?

Hi Alyssa — So happy to hear this! Except for the crust situation of course. I don’t think the egg wash would have made a difference — was it the underside that was undercooked or the exposed crust? I have a few thoughts: 1. Maybe you could have rolled the dough out a little thinner? If so, a thinner crust will crisp up more quickly and cook more evenly. 2. What kind of sheetpan were you baking it on? Could it have been insulated? I doubt this is the case, but I have one insulated baking pan that always causes issues when I’m baking. Let me know, and I’ll keep thinking!