Prosciutto, Endive & Shaved Manchego Salad with Tarragon-Shallot Vinaigrette

pears

I am anxious to share with you my aunt Marcy’s blueberry muffins, my mother’s rosemary shortbread and my stepfather’s glug — a high-octane, blood-warming winter punch. Those treats are going to have to wait, however. My eyes and mind need a break from the recent holiday indulgences.

And so today, I have only two things to share with you: a yummy yummy salad and a favorite vinaigrette.

Several weeks ago, a friend and I dined at Froma on Melrose, an LA cheese-, charcuterie-, and wine shop, where I ordered the Jamón Serrano salad, a combination of salty ham, bitter endive, and sweet pear, topped with Manchego cheese and drizzled with chestnut honey. What arrived at the table — essentially a platter of meat topped with a sprinkling of endive — was entirely different than what I envisioned but entirely enjoyed that evening. With my side of sliced baguette, I assembled mini open-faced sandwiches, which, along with a glass of red wine, made for a delectable dinner.

I’ve since made the salad several times, omitting the honey, which Froma overdid a tad and which is unnecessary anyway — the pears add a perfect amount of sweetness. A tarragon-shallot vinaigrette, I find makes the perfect dressing for this simple salad.

Happy New Year everyone!

endive

pears-overhead

salad-overhead1

sliced-pears

manchego

tarragon-dressing

Tarragon-Shallot Vinaigrette
Yield = ½ cup (Make a double batch — It’s so nice to have on hand.)

4 teaspoons sherry vinegar
1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots
½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
¼ teaspoon sugar
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
2-3 tablespoons tarragon, finely chopped

In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, shallots, mustard, sugar and salt. Let mixture macerate for 20 minutes. Slowly drizzle in olive oil, whisking constantly until emulsified. Stir in tarragon. Taste, add more salt and pepper if necessary. Set aside.

Prosciutto, Pear & Endive Salad
Serves as many as you like
prosciutto
endive, sliced into thin wedges
arugula
pear, sliced thinly
Manchego cheese, shaved
bread, toasted or grilled

Arrange prosciutto on a large platter. (Alternatively, arrange a few slices on individual plates.) Toss endive, arugula and pear with the tarragon-shallot vinaigrette. Top prosciutto with salad. Top salad with slices of cheese. Serve with warm bread.

openface-overhead

1. Great idea! I made it in an Italian way (that’s where I live)with Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, Radicchio Tardivo as salad and Culatello ham; I used extra virgin olive oil from Liguria and at the ned I added some drops of Balsamico Tradizionale di Modena: simply delicious!
    Simona

2. Ooh, lovely pics Ali! Tarragon has become more and more available in Manila but I have to confess I don’t really know what it tastes like. This looks like a great way to begin :)

3. i’ve been on a pear kick lately, so this looks lovely!! rosemary shortbread? can’t wait :)

did you catch the pierogi recipe? it’s up!

4. Glögg is one of my favorite holiday traditions, and one whose recipe is hotly debated amongst the various family members, all of whom have a different variation of the two main family recipies. So I’d be very interested in seeing what your recipe involves.

That said, I think I’ve reached the point of saturation. A nice salad sounds like the perfect remedy for all of the holiday excess and this one looks delicious. Thanks for the idea!

5. Sounds delicious! I’m hearing more and more about Manchego cheese lately. I don’t think I’ve ever had it. Something new to look forward to. Happy New Year Ali!

6. This sounds like such a great salad. I love how you had something you liked out and recreated it at home – that’s always so much fun!

7. This month all I’m focusing on is healthy salads and light soups. The flavors and textures in this recipe are enough to make me drool.

Love the combination of salty and sweet.

8. Thank you so much for ordering my book! You don’t know how happy you’ve made me! I hope you enjoy it (bites nails.)

9. Manchego is wonderful. Your pictures are magazine worthy, you know! Hope you had great holidays… and will post again sometime soon!

10. This combination sounds great, but I think that you should try using jamón ibérico instead of jamon serrano.
    It tastes so good, ummmmmmmmmmmmm.
    Pat

11. Hi Alexandra! I am wondering if you’d be willing to let us use these recipes and maybe a photo or two for an Edible San Diego piece on food blogs? Let me know – I’m submitting it today or tomorrow! ;-)

12. Coincidentally, I have a block of Manchego left over from a tapas party last weekend. Standing in line to order a sandwich at my favorite deli in Little Italy, staring at the prosciutto, it occurred to me I could actually try this salad, as prescribed.

I loved it. This combination was delightful, and the thin slices of cheese really brought out its flavor.

Thank you!

13. I made this salad & the dressing and it is something so easy with good eh, excellent ingredients & I abolutely love Manchego cheese,,… Viva España !