Gateau Tiede Aux Poires Mas De Cure Bourse

Surely you’ve heard of Gateau Tiede Aux Poires Mas De Cure Bourse. No? The best translation I’ve found so far is this: Delectable Pear Custardy Caramel.

Attention all crème brulée, tarte tatin and crème caramel lovers. Here is another recipe that must be added to your repertoire, especially now during pear season. Apples would make a fine substitute as would quince, (though the quince might need some preliminary cooking. Maybe? Maybe not.) For my mother, this recipe rivals Balzano Apple Cake — my favorite fall (maybe, all-time) dessert, a recipe everyone should try, at least once.

Just a slight warning about the preparation of this gateau: Nothing about it feels natural. If you are out of practice cooking sugar, the first step might turn you away. Don’t be afraid. It’s quite quite simple. Moreover, the recipe calls for a sprinkling of yeast. Again, don’t worry — no rising or proofing is called for. And lastly, the batter in its final state looks like a curdled mess. But fear not. In the oven, the caramel, pears and batter combine to form, as my mother described, a delectable custardy goodness.

Gateau Tiede Aux Poires Mas De Cure Bourse
Serves 4 to 6

1 cup sugar
1¼ tsp. yeast
4 large ripe pears, about 2 pounds, (Bartlett or Anjou), peeled, cored and sliced very thin
1/3 cup flour
4 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
7 T. unsalted butter, room temperature

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Butter a 9”-round cake tin. In a large skillet cook ¾ cup of the sugar over moderate heat until it begins to melt. Continue cooking until it turns a golden caramel. Meanwhile, sprinkle the yeast over one tablespoon of lukewarm water.
2. Pour the hot caramel into prepared pan. Make sure caramel covers the bottom. (If your caramel has hardened up before you allow it to cover the bottom of the pan, place the pan, using potholders, over one of your stovetop burners and hover it over the heat until the caramel begins to melt.) Arrange thinly sliced pears in slightly overlapping circles on top of caramel.
3. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, then add the flour, 1/4 c. sugar, the yeast mixture and vanilla. In another large bowl (sorry about all of the bowls!) beat the butter with an electric mixer (or standmixer) until smooth. Add the egg mixture and beat until the mixture is combined well, but do not overbeat. It will look slightly curdled. Pour the mixture over the pears being careful not to dislodge the pears.
4. Bake the cake on the middle rack for one hour or until golden. Let cool on rack for five minutes and then run a knife around the edges, and invert onto a large dish or platter deep enough so the syrup won’t flow over the edges. Serve warm.

Comments

1. The Blonde Duck says

I’m so glad you translated that! I was sitting there scratching my head going, “Duhhhh…”

Remember Pinkie and the Brain? “NARF!”

2. RecipeGirl says

Custardy and Caramelly?? Oh yum. I thought you were trying to get all fancy on us or something :)

It really looks amazing!

3. Helene says

I never heard of a: Gateau Tiede Aux Poires Mas De Cure Bourse and I’m French. Don’t know where this recipe comes from. That surely looks really good.

4. Isa says

Never heard of it before, but so glad I came to your blog and read about it! This is on my to-do list now! Haha, thanks for sharing

5. Kim says

This is a new dessert for me, and it is perfect for fall weather. Your photos are wonderful and caramel anything is my favorite.

6. Manggy says

Delectable custardy goodness indeed! I suppose you could also make the thing from start to finish in an ovenproof deep skillet :) (I hate cleaning up caramel, though!)

7. Gigi says

Oh Alexandra! I have a bag of pears in my fridge and have been dying to do something special with them. This sounds like the perfect recipe!

8. Rowena says

Hmmm…you say quince might work as well? I’ve never worked with it, but saw that they were available in the exotic exotic section in the fruit section. Now if I can get over the carbon footprint that is surely has left on it’s way to Hawaii, then perhaps I can give it a try. Love all things caramel-y!

9. giz says

Nope, never heard of it but would a) love to continue saying it just because it sounds so sexy in French and b)it sounds utterly delicious.

10. hot garlic says

Oh no! I am a huge fan of all of those things! And now there is another tempting relative?? It looks amazing!

11. Mama JJ says

I just discovered this blog and I’m going to do something that’s a little out of the ordinary for me: I am skipping the “lurking stage” and immediately jumping into the role of “follower”. Your recipes, writing, and photography are excellent, and your philosophy is intriguing (and right on). Great blog!

-JJ

12. Foodycat says

How can something I have never heard of just become my favourite dessert? Is it the description? Is it the photographs? I don’t know but you have nailed it! I want this!

13. Nneka says

Hey there! I was just looking for the recipe for the Balzano cake to make for Christmas again (went over really well last year) and found this so I’ll give it a try instead. Or, maybe I’ll just make both! Hope you’re well