Fresh Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

What do you get when you combine heavy cream, half and half, egg yolks, sugar, fresh mint and dark chocolate? Absolute, pure, utter and complete deliciousness. I don’t know what else to say about this mint chocolate chip ice cream except that it is one of the best things I have ever tasted. Ever. Seriously.

Fresh Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
Adapted from Alice Q. Foodie’s recipe

1 cup half and half
2 cups heavy cream
2 cups lightly packed mint leaves
5 egg yolks
¾ cup sugar
pinch salt
pure peppermint oil* (not extract), optional
1 cup chopped dark chocolate, such as Valrhona 70%, chopped with a chef’s knife into ¼-inch pieces
*Peppermint oil can be found at specialty cookware shops. I found mine at Fante’s in Philadelphia, but Alice Q. Foodie says Henry’s Market carries it as well.

1. In a medium-sized saucepan, heat the cream and half and half with the mint leaves until it’s good and hot but not boiling. (You can just touch it lightly with your finger to test it.) Cover pan and set aside to steep for 30 mins. Strain out mint and discard (or compost) it.

2. Whisk yolks in a large bowl. If your cream mixture is still relatively hot to the touch (which it should be after only 30 minutes), slowly ladle the mixture into the egg yolks whisking constantly. Transfer yolk-cream mixture back to the saucepan and add the sugar with a pinch of salt.

3. Cook the custard over medium heat for about ten minutes, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon or heat proof spatula. When the mixture begins to coat the back of the spoon, remove the pan from the heat. (If you have a thermometer, it should be about 170 degrees.)

4. Strain the hot custard into a bowl. If using the peppermint oil, take it and drip one or two drops into the cap of the bottle, then dip a toothpick in the oil and swish it through the custard mixture. (This stuff is powerful and can easily ruin a batch of custard if restraint is not used.)

5. Chill the mixture until completely cold. Churn in an ice cream maker. During the last few minutes of churning, add the chocolate chips. Freeze mixture until ready to serve.

Comments

1. Katrina says

Darn! That looks SO good!

About my blog with the slide show pictures on the side. They have been there since the beginning. Sorry you missed them before. ;) Sometimes it takes them a moment to load, so maybe that’s why you missed it. Thanks for commenting!

I want some of that ice cream!

2. Maria says

I am so glad you are still making ice cream. Just because it is fall doesn’t mean we have to stop eating frozen treats! I love them year around!

3. Amanda says

YUMMY. Becca and I just made ice cream for the first time last week – vanilla bean. Now we’re obsessed with home made ice cream – soon we’ll each be 15 pounds heavier. I just bought butterfinger to mix into vanilla for this weekend, but next time we’ll have to try the mint chocolate chip!

Toodles!
    Amanda

4. hot garlic says

Okay, that’s it! I can’t take it anymore! I can’t take one more mouthwatering post about ice cream -I am buying a machine TODAY! GREAT combo!

5. Bellini Valli says

Yes I could easily scarff down a few bowls of this Alexandra. I am so glad that you tried the Georgian bread as well…so cheesey good:D

6. Jenny says

Oh man that is pure heaven right there. I’ve got to break open my new ice cream maker before winter gets here! Looks beautifully delicious!

7. eliza says

alexandra, you have a beautiful blog and wonderful recipes! i love mint chocolate chip ice cream! i’ll definitely come back here often.

8. Emiline says

Ahh! I did the same thing, a couple months ago.
    So you liked it?

I couldn’t decide. The fresh mint was almost too herby and wild for me. It’s sad that I’m used to fake mint flavor.

9. alexandra's kitchen says

Maris — Do you have a kitchen aid stand mixer? I use the ice cream attachment for my kitchen aid. It’s pretty good, though I would love to have one of those makers that does not require canister chilling.

Katie — The mintness is very unique. You can definitely tell that it’s different than extract. I did not find it overpowering.

Amanda! hieeee. I think i’ve gained five pounds this week alone.

Emiline — I really liked it. I experienced the herby/wild taste when I made rosemary-goats milk gelato a few months back, and I was worried that the mint might be the same, but I loved the fresh mint taste. I have to admit, however, that I like artificial mint flavor too!

10. Prudy says

You’re killing me. I’m sold if it’s one of the best things that you have ever tasted. Now I have to wait until I have fresh mint again.

11. Grace says

my favorite mint chip ice cream comes from breyer’s, and methinks this would truly rival it. it looks pure and fresh and delicious. :)

12. Alvin Gill-Tapia says

I just placed the Ice Cream Maker’s bowl in the freezer… I’m making this for guests this weekend… Thanks for your great Recipes… Alvin

13. alexandra's kitchen says

nice! Alvin — you won’t be disappointed! I just polished off my batch last night. It is so yummy!

14. Patricia says

That sounds divine and oh so infinetly better than the unnatural green hued oddities one finds made by commercial ice cream makers…bravo! Patricia

15. Bates says

i just got myself the ice cream attachment to my kitchenaid… i can’t wait to make ice cream… not that i eat it that much… everyday