Corn Pudding

Several years ago, I received two non-stick All-Clad mini baking pans as a birthday gift. They are adorable! And, before this evening, entirely useless. Tonight, I am happy to report, I finally found a use — a very good use — for them: corn pudding.

Corn pudding for two, that is. This original recipe, printed in the July 2007 issue of Gourmet, feeds 8-10 people as a side dish. It is such a wonderful recipe, and I made it several times last summer after hearing my mother rave. Tonight, in an effort to minimize potential leftovers, I made a third of the recipe and baked it in one of my adorable, All-Clad baking dishes. Success! I love this recipe. It takes only minutes to prepare and is a perfect late-summer, early-fall dish.

For the past few weeks I have been buying delectable corn at the San Clemente farmers’ market from the same Carlsbad farmer that sells the Cherokee Purple tomatoes I have been obsessed with all summer. I am submitting this recipe to the September 20th Farmers’ Market Report. If you have a farmers’ market story/recipe/discovery you want to share, you can play, too. Just read the rules first, then submit your post.

Happy first day of fall.

Corn Pudding For Two
Serves 2 as a side dish
(Note: Click here for the recipe written to serve 8-10 people)

2 ears corn, kernels scraped from cob
cilantro or basil to taste
1 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon sugar
pinch kosher salt
2/3 cup 1%, 2% or whole milk
2 small or one large egg, lightly beaten

1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF with rack in the middle. Butter a small shallow baking dish (such as the one pictured above) or individual crème brulee dishes or ramekins.

2. Pulse half of the corn in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the herbs, flour, sugar, salt and remaining corn. Whisk together milk and eggs and add to bowl with the corn. Stir until just combined. Pour into baking dish or ladle into individual dishes.

3. Bake until the center is just set. About 30-35 minutes. (Maybe longer — I kind of lost track of time.) Let stand 15 minutes before serving.

Comments

1. hot garlic says

Adorable dishes, I must have them! What a great gift, tell whoever gave them to you that my birthday is November 2 and I’ll need at least 8 of them. Thanks! {And the pudding looks yum!}

2. VeggieGirl says

I love recipes that only make a few servings – much more convenient when you’re not hosting a huge get-together and such!!

3. Kerry says

What a cute pan! The handles look HUGE on them. I love corn pudding, but hubby is not a fan. Perhaps I’ll make your pudding for 2 and just eat it all myself! :)

Thanks for submitting your link to the Farmer’s Market Report. It is a quiet week – I think many farmer’s markets are slowing down. Too bad, because there still plenty of produce to be had!

I think this week (Sept 27th) will be the last week until Spring.

4. Manggy says

I’m surprised! If I had pans like those I’d be using them all the time! :) I love the corn pudding recipe– it looks so rich, but there’s no butter or cream in sight! Good job!

5. RhodeyGirl/Sabrina says

BARNEY BUTTER is this amazing roasted almond butter. i got mine from the website http://www.barneybutter.com bc they are only in cali right now. it is really good stuff. i prob won’t get it again once i’m done only bc i feel it is wasteful to have it shipped all the way from cali when there are yummy local ABs you know?

sorry i don’t comment much but I am reading every day- i am just having trouble typing a lot bc my wrist hurts!

6. Maria says

What great dishes! We got the All Clad 10 piece set for our wedding in June and we LOVE them! I will have to look for these! The corn pudding looks fabulous! I just love going to the Farmer’s Market every week. I am sad it is almost over.

7. Grace says

corn pudding is one of my favorite ways to consume those little yellow nuggets of goodness. i love your recipe, and i adore your mini pans. :)

8. Jacque says

Oh my gosh, you just reminded me of my grandmother’s scalloped corn. Not the same as yours but the same general idea. But hers was canned creamed corn all the way, lol.

Yours looks so fresh and vibrant. I think I’ll have to try it!

9. Jenny says

How fun,
    I bought 8 of those cute dishes a couple years ago and love them! Now I’m going to have to make your corn pudding! Great recipe!

10. white on rice couple says

I love anything with corn and your dish is a beautiful example of how versatile this corn is!

ALL you photographs are just stunning! I can stay here for hours just drooling over everything!

11. jancd says

Found your blog today and made the corn pudding. I used frozen corn (that was a hoot when I used the food processor!), and it turned out delicious. Perfect for two. I didn’t have the cute pan, but a nice little casserole did the trick. Jancd

12. Tracy Paul says

I only have cans of corn.( I make a lot of corn + black bean salads for my room mate.) Do you think it would be too horrible to use canned corn, + if not, how much corn should I use to = 2 ears?

Tracy — I can’t say about the canned corn — I’ve never used it. I do have a friend who makes my favorite fresh corn polenta recipe with frozen corn, so perhaps canned or frozen might work for the pudding, too. If you use canned corn often then by all means, go for it! If you use fresh corn, two ears is what the recipe calls for as I have written it for 2 servings.