One Peach, One Tart, A Favorite Recipe, Simplified

As the title suggests, the tart featured in this post is based on a longtime favorite recipe printed in Fine Cooking several years ago. The original recipe calls for making a frangipane — an almond-based filling — to spread in a thin layer across the dough. The fruit lies over this creamy base and the combination of dough, frangipane and fruit in every bite is absolutely delicious. The addition of frangipane to any free-form tart — from plums, peaches and apricots (really all stone fruit) in the summer to pears and apples in the fall — seriously raises the bar of the classic fruit tart, adding a most subtle flavor, but a dimension that pure fruit tarts lack.

That said, in the tart pictured above, the frangipane has been omitted, and had I never known frangipane existed, I wouldn’t have missed it. A dessert of warm peaches in a flaky, buttery crust topped with a little scoop of vanilla ice cream alone is pretty damn good. And whereas frangipane requires almond paste, rum and room-temperature butter, this simplified fruit tart can be made with pantry items in no time.

All I’m saying is this: If you have the time and the ingredients, make the frangipane. You won’t be disappointed. If you don’t have the time or the ingredients, however, make this tart anyway. You will still produce an elegant and delectable dessert. You won’t be disappointed.
This recipe yields two small tarts each of which will serve three or four people. I used only one peach in the tart I made and froze the remaining portion of dough. I love love love this dough recipe. I’m not quite sure how it differs from a traditional pie dough but it without fail produces a perfect crust.
 It should be noted that while this tart probably tastes best when warm, I am discovering that it complements morning coffee very nicely as well.

Galette Dough
Yield=Two mini tarts (each tart yields 3-4 small servings; double recipe to yield two 9-inch tarts)

1¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 T. sugar
¼ tsp. table salt
8 T. unsalted butter
¼ C. + 1 T. ice water

Whisk flour, sugar and salt together. Cut butter into flour and using the back of a fork or a pastry cutter, incorporate butter into flour mixture until butter is in small pieces. Add ice water and continue to stir with fork until mixture comes together to form a mass. Add more ice water if necessary, one tablespoon at a time. Gently form mass into a ball and divide into two equal pieces. Shape each piece into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes and as long as overnight. (Dough can be frozen, too.)

Frangipane
Note: I did not use a frangipane in the above pictured tart. This frangipane makes for a truly special tart. If you’re pressed for time, however, or don’t feel like making frangipane, the peaches and the galette dough alone will make a wonderful dessert.

¼ C. almond paste
2 T.. sugar
2 T. butter at room temperature
2 tsp. rum
1 small egg

In the bowl of a stand mixer or food processor, combine almond paste, sugar and butter. Beat until combined, then add rum and egg and beat until smooth, or until only small lumps remain. Set aside.

To Assemble:

1 peach, sliced (If making two tarts, use two peaches.)
pinch sugar, pinch salt
1 T. butter, melted
1 tsp. sugar
parchment paper
vanilla ice cream

1. Toss peach slices with the pinches of sugar and salt. Set aside. On a lightly floured work surface, roll one disk out approximately into a 9-inch circle, using flour as needed to prevent sticking. Line a rimless cookie sheet (or upside-down jelly roll pan) with parchment paper. Transfer dough to parchment paper. Spoon 1-2 tablespoons of the frangipane (if using) into the center of the tart and spread toward the edges, leaving a 2-inch border all the way around. Arrange the fruit in concentric circles over the frangipane.

2. Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Finish the tart by folding the exposed border over the tart onto itself, crimping to make a folded-over border. Chill tart in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes. Brush dough with butter and sprinkle sugar over entire tart. Place in the oven for 30-35 minutes or until crust is golden. Let cool for five minutes on tray then slide parchment paper and tart onto a cooling rack. Let cool another 20 minutes before slicing.

Serve with vanilla ice cream.

1. Ah, I remember my first time making pie– it was a galette, of course. And also my first taste of plums. I love peaches so this looks mighty delicious! :)

2. How beautiful! I’ve never made frangipane – I can well imagine leaving it out – but it sounds so delicious. That little hint of almond goes so well with stone fruit.

3. It can’t be much better than that, can it? It’s a gorgeous little tart and so versatile! I’m a big sucker for frangipane but hey, sometimes just plain fruit and tart dough are enough to make me happy! And aparently to make you happy as well ;)!

4. Be still my heart! I think it must be peach season at home, I am so devastated looking at this scrumptious tart that it is not here. I want to make this THIS minute! I am going to have to bookmark this for later, it looks both lovely AND delicious, not all recipes do!

5. Absolutely stunning! I don’t have a clue as to where you live, but if you are in need of a new neighbor. Count me in! This has been on my to make list, and I am ever so inspired by your beautiful photographs.

6. I want to be your neighbor! How did you make this so incredibly pretty?? I think the frangipane sounds like a great addition. I’d probably take the time to make it.

7. I made this on Sunday night… I only had blueberries at home, so I obviously didn’t make the frangipane, but the galette was delicious. Thanks for another great recipe!

8. After all the success with the Open-Face Plum Cake, I had to try this tart. I just made it and it’s delicious! It’s so easy to make.

Can you please post more difficult desserts to make so my entire diet doesn’t consist of fruit tarts! That would be much appreciated :) I absolutely love your blog, Ali!

9. Just finished it, turned out great.

Oh, and love the new design. One of the best site designs I’ve ever seen, just pulling ahead of this american life’s by a bit.

10. You’re absolutely right – the crust is marvelous. Do you think it’s the sugar that does it? Anyway, I made these tarts last night with plums and they were one of the best desserts I’ve made in a long time. I tweeked a little – added a few drops of lemon juice over the fruit, sprinkled it w/cinnamon sugar and dotted it with butter.

Repeat: I have never tasted better crust (also very easy to work with).

• Alice — I’m so glad to hear this! I love this crust, too, and reading your comments is definitely giving me the itch to get into the kitchen to start cranking out some tarts. And I think the sugar definitely has something to do with the deliciousness and workability of this dough — I wish I understood more of the science of baking. So glad to hear you feel the same.

Yes, individual tarts sound fantastic. I cannot wait for stone fruit season! You’re making me crave a juicy juicy plum.

11. One more thought – wouldn’t it be fun to make individual tarts with this recipe. Just cut the dough into quarters (instead of half).

12. ooooh I did this recipe the other day, with cooking apples and it was so nice. Such a lovely and easy recipe to follow. Tasty and yummy.

Thanks girl btw this now my favourite website. I’ve looked through your website so great, I’m trying to keep to what I’m good at and you’ve inspired me, thanks:)

Keep up with the good work!